Please note Hillyard Street was called Russell Street in 1881 – see here.
Kelly’s Directory 1881 tells us that at 13 Russell Street was Mrs Caroline Champion, a general grocer.
Expanding on the info taken from Kelly’s Directory and looking at the Census we find out a little more…
Looking at the 1881 Census it appears that Caroline Champion ran the shop and lived with her Elderly mother, perhaps an inherited business although it does not appear that anyone called Champion lived on Russell Street on the 1871 Census.
Info from 1881 Census:
|Name||Relation to head of household||Age||Year born||Town of birth||City of birth||Country of birth||Profession|
|Hannah Champion||Widower||77||abt 1804||Mile End||Middlesex||England||Age Precludes Work|
|Caroline Champion||Daughter||42||abt 1839||Lambeth||Surrey||England||General Dealer|