Please note Hillyard Street was called Russell Street in 1881 – see here.
Kelly’s Directory 1881 tells us that at 28 Russell Street was Joseph Parker, a beer retailer.
Expanding on the info taken from Kelly’s Directory and looking at the Census we find out a little more…
Mr Parker and his family appear below on the Census of 1881. The Census lists him as a grocer while Kelly’s Directory has him recorded as a beer retailer, perhaps it was a Victorian off-licence. Mr Joseph and his wife are not native Londoners, moving from north of London, having children in the City and settling in Russell Street and opening up a shop. Mr Parker and his family are not on the census of 1871 or 1891.
Info from 1871 Census:
|Name||Relation to head of household||Age||Year born||Town of birth||City of birth||Country of birth||Profession|
|Joseph Parker||Head||43||abt 1838||Stapleton||Gloucestershire||England||Grocer|
|Mary Ann Parker||Wife||38||abt 1843||Luton||/||England|
|Joseph Parker||Son||8||abt 1873||(City)||Middlesex||England||Scholar|
|Mary A. Parker||Daughter||7||abt 1874||(City)||Middlesex||England|
|Jessie Parker||Daughter||3||abt 1878||(City)||Middlesex||England|
|Rose Parker||Daughter||1||abt 1880||Brixton||Surrey||England|