Crewdson Road is a curved road that bends from Clapham Road to Brixton Road, it is almost entirely residential. The street was originally comprised of individual houses which must have been very spacious as they have almost all been converted into flats. British History Online tells us that “Nothing is known about the early history of the land between Prima Road, South Island Place, Clapham Road and Brixton Road. The area formed a no-man’s land bounded by the Manor of Kennington and Vauxhall Creek on the north, by Vauxhall Manor on the west and by Lambeth Wick Manor on the east and south. It may perhaps be identified with 18 acres held by Robert Addison of St. Saviour’s, Southwark, butcher, who was presented in 1640 to the Court of the Commissioners of Sewers to scour the sewer which lay along his ground near Hazards Bridge. Hazards Bridge crossed Vauxhall Creek at the north end of Brixton Road.”
“In 1870 another John Wright, who was then owner of the estate, disposed of it in two parts. The northern part, between Prima Road and the present gardens of houses in Handforth Road, was sold to Philip Edward Sewell of Norfolk, civil engineer. The southern portion was acquired by Robert and Isaac Crewdson, and Handforth and Crewdson Roads were subsequently laid out across it.” So at least we know who built the street, and where they got the name from.
Crewdson Road in 1920.
The 1876 Ward map shows the area that Crewdson Road now stands on was once gardens, this is the case of much of the land on which our local streets were built on. Originally these gardens would have just been open countryside.
Crewdson Road appears on Stanfords Map of Central London in 1897 (Above).
Charles Booth’s Map of London Poverty research took him to Crewdson Road in 1895. The Map above is from 1898 and shows how Booth graded Crewdson Road. The key to what the colours mean can be seen to the right of the image. For more information on Charles Booth and the classification of poverty see here. Booth graded Crewdson Road and it’s twin Handforth Road as ‘Pink’ which was ‘Good ordinary earnings’.
Terror from above…
Crewdson Road wasn’t as lucky as Handforth Road and was hit by bombs in WW2 on more than one occasion. See the bombing and war section for more information of how Crewdson Road fared in the Blitz. A whole chunk of the street was blasted away and in it’s place stands drab LCC housing (see below).
British Jazz Pioneer Pete Robinson ….
On Thursday 18th July 2013 a Blue Plaque was unveiled at 8 Crewdson Road for Pete Robinson who was a drummer in the Southern Syncopated Orchestra. He lost his life with other members of the Orchestra when the ship he was travelling on from Scotland to Ireland, the SS Rowan, sank after a collision in October 1921. From records he lived at 8 Crewdson Road from 1915-1917.Above photograph – The Mayor of Lambeth unveils the blue plaque – 18/7/13